This month the Beatrice Racing Team has been busy with our new car. We have decided to start construction on a new smaller, faster, lighter, and more efficient design. We started by making a jig to build the car on. Its purpose is to act as a flat and stable surface to mount and position parts. We laid a piece of square tubing to act as the backbone under the cockpit and cut recessed holes for the wheels to set our ground clearance. We also needed to make an adapter piece for our pipe to fit properly in our tubing bender. Documentation continued as usual while special attention was given to the design of our team tee-shirts.
This month the Beatrice racing team concentrated on building their new race frame. With the jig already made the only thing left to do was to bend ribs to fit and then tack them in place. Once the main frame structure was mocked up our welders began working to weld them in place.. Members also contacted local businesses for further donations to the racing team.
This month we have been working hard on building the new S06 as well as upgrading last year's A08 to the advanced class. We ordered cintra for covering the cars. The hinge and housing unit for the rear tire and motor is built and installed. We built the canopy out of clear Lexan to be mounted onto the A08. We sent out to get more mounting brackets fabricated by Nebraska Machine. We are trying to find 1 inch round steel tubing to make the S06's axle.
This month has the team in the middle of race season. With modifications being made to allow the cars to race well in both classes. The advanced class car had a rear cover made to minimize drag. Both cars have had a rear shock mounted over the pivot point adding suspension. After problems with the tubes in both cars heavy duty tubes have been installed. We have redone the mirrors on the standard class car to increase visibility. We are in the process of correcting a steering problem with one tire turning farther than the other.